It's never too early to start reading. 1 HOUR story-time and check in for families. Meet with us to celebrate your journey through 1,000 books with your child before Kindergarten. Free prizes every time you read 100 books.
2019 Check-In Dates: Last Thursday of the Month 11:00 – 12:00 noon
September 26, October 24, November 28th, December 19th
Log into our mobile website www.oml.beanstack.org to start logging today!
On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, Olds Municipal Library, and Olds Parent Link Centre we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started).
The key is perseverance. Make it exciting. When your children reach a milestone, give him/her a small reward (stickers, backpacks, books).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Read with your child. Keep track of your books. Bring your book logs to a check-in event.
Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for the both of you.
COME READ WITH US@ Olds Parent Link Centre & Olds Municipal Library
DOWNLOAD READING LOGS
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
- Need book ideas to read to your children? Visit our Pinterest board here
Name and logo used with permission from the 1000 Books Foundation