1. Why can I no longer place requests through TAL Online?
The province of Alberta (Public Library Services Branch) has adopted new software for interlibrary loans between public libraries in Alberta. It is not designed to work with TAL Online, so there is a new site to place requests.
2. I found a book at an academic library on TAL Online. How do i get it?
For now use Parkland's request form. Academic Libraries have been added to the new system, but their items are not yet requestable. This should change soon.
3. Are all the public libraries being searched? There seems to be fewer options.
Yes, all Alberta public libraries are now in the new system and are being searched.
4. I can't find my item at all. What can I do?
Use Parkland's request from to request items that aren't available in Alberta. Parkland staff will search other libraries in Canada and try to get them for you.
5. The system won't let me place a request but there's a long holds queue for Parkland's copy. How do I get it now?
If an item is in high demand at Parkland, it's likely in high demand everywhere! Placing a request through the system would not be faster, because other libraries will lend it to their own patrons first. If you can't place a hold on the item in Parkland's catalogue, fill out our online request form and we will try and get it for you.
6. How do I check the status of a request?
When logged-in to the system, go to "my account" in the top left corner to see your open requests. If you requested an item through Parkland's online form, it will appear in your library account within two business days.
7. The status of my request shows as 'Unfilled- cancelled by Staff- Lenders Exhausted'. What does this mean?
This means that the item you requested was not available at the time of your request and the request could not be filled. You can re-request the title again at a later date.
8. The item I requested was not available. How long should I wait before re-requesting the title?
As an item may be popular, please wait for approximately 3 months before re-requesting the title.
9. How do I renew an item?
Contact your local library to request a renewal for your item.
10. I returned an interlibrary item, but it is still showing on my account, what should I do?
There are a few possible reasons for this. The item may be in transit between libraries, and not all systems are linked, so the item will remain on your account until checked in at its destination. The item may also be quarantined due to COVID-19 protocols. Any fines accrued will be waived upon return. If a reasonable time has passed (up to 3 months), contact your local library regarding the late title and they will make further enquiries.
11. I accidentally lost or damaged an interlibrary loan item. What will happen now?
Inform your local library. They will request an invoice for the item from the lender, and a fee will be added to your account. Some lenders want to see the damaged item, so you may need to return the item to your local library.
12. I have a question, who do I contact?
Talk to your library staff if you have questions or trouble using the system. If you have complaints about the interlibrary loan system, please contact Public Library Services Branch at ILLAlberta@gov.ab.ca or your MLA.